Thursday, 17th Dec. 2015 Daily Telegraph
- Medication to Meditation
- Meditation helps new Eagle Dylan beat drug drama
- Now & Zen
Reporting: Dylan Walker admitted he turned to meditation as he battled through the most turbulent period of his life. “I did a lot of meditation- positive feedback and thinking…”
It is inspiring to read how meditation is embraced in one’s life.
In our work as therapists, it is unfortunate that we far too often experience that it takes tragedies or adverse situations before a person adopts or recognizes what meditation offers.
Meditation as such can be practiced daily, enhancing the well-being of a person.
Mindfulness “meditation provides the simple but powerful route for getting ourselves unstuck, back into touch with own own wisdom and vitality”. Jon Kabat-Zinn
Commonly recognized benefits of meditation are:
- Reduction of anxiety
- Lowered blood pressure
- Reduction of chronic pain
- Lowered levels of stress hormones, e.g. cortisol
- Increase in cognitive (brain) functions
- Reduction of substance abuse
- Improvements in PTSD syndromes
- Reduction in medical care and hospitalizations